Mary Kathryn Kozy's
Jacob SHIVER, Jr. (2)
The purpose of this page is to present what I know about what appears to be two different Jacob SHIVERs, both born in 1789 in Camden District, South Carolina. It is plausible that two sons of John & Hannah named a son Jacob, born in the same year. I have seen this happen in another family that I am researching. I will now present both men's data and ask you to help me to sort this out! :-)
Jacob SHIVER, Jr. (apparent son of Jacob SHIVER, Sr.) was born abt. 1789 in Camden District, South Carolina. It appears that he married Sara Ann SWILLEY (daughter of Nicholas SWILLEY?) about 1809, probably in Wilkinson County, Georgia. The known children of this couple are:
- Dorcus, b. 1810, d. 16 Sep 1895. (Married John McINTOSH).
- baby (sex unknown), b. 1811, d. 1811.
- Nicholas, b. abt 1813. (Married (1) Unknown and (2) Frances ????).
- Jacob III, b. abt. 1814, d. Dec 1860. (Married (1) Unknown (2) Catherine COOPER).
- Samuel James Augustus, b. 10 Apr 1815, d. 27 Aug 1912. (Married Sarah Ann Delila PRESTWOOD).
- Gilley, b. 10 Feb 1819, d. 13 Aug 1863. (Married William Terry PRESTWOOD).
- Abraham, b. 18 Feb 1819, d. 7 Dec 1894. (Married Minda or Minnie JOHNSON).
- baby (sex unknown), b. 1821, d. 1821.
- Mary, b. abt. 1823.
Now, I realize that Gilley and Abraham's birthdates are only 8 days apart (no, it isn't a typo), but those are the dates given me by their descendants, and I have no way of disproving them at this time. Gilley's dates are taken from her headstone (which can often be incorrect). I can't offhand place where Abraham's came from, but the age appears to be vindicated by his age in the census which is consistent. It may be also that they were twins and were born on the same day in Feb 1819 (though I doubt this given the census records). This is yet to be determined.
It seems that this Jacob died before 1830, as the Pike County, Alabama census records have a listing for Mrs. Sarah SHIVER (who is near William SHIVER, possible brother to her husband Jacob, and Samuel SWILLEY, a brother of hers?). This record is noted below:
1830 Federal Census of Pike County, Alabama
Free White Males: 1 - 5-10, 1 - 10-15, 2 - 15-20, 1 - 80-90;
Free White Females: 1 - 5-10, 2 - 10-15, 1- 30-40.
[The 80-90-year-old man living in this household is, I suspect, Sara's father, Nicholas SWILLEY. I have no proof of this, but given Sarah is listed as the head of household, I'm assuming he may have been old and infirm.]
1850 Federal Census of Coffee County, Alabama
Enumeration Date: 15 Oct 1850
Page #273, Dwelling #115, Family #115
NAME AGE SEX OCCUPATION R/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE Sarah SHIVER 58 F $200 South Carolina Abraham SHIVER 30 M Farmer Georgia Minder SHIVER 10 M Alabama
[I believe that this Minder, male, age 10, was most likely Minda (JOHNSON) SHIVER, Abraham's wife, who was most definitely female and 19 years old! (Another case of inaccuracy in the census...)]
Sarah appears to have died between 1850 and 1860, as she does not appear in the 1860 census. Two of her children named daughters Sarah, one in 1855 and the other about 1857, which could give an indication of her approximate year of death.
The other Jacob Shiver was born about 1789 in Camden District, South Carolina. His father's name is unknown at this time.
He married Mary ???? about 1817, probably in Georgia. To this marriage was born at least 8 children:
- Miss Shiver, b. abt. 1818
- Mr. Shiver, b. abt. 1820
- Miss Shiver, b. abt. 1822
- Mr. Shiver, b. abt. 1823
- Jacob J., b. 26 Jan 1825, d. 1 Dec 1907. (Married Rebecca SHIVER).
- Miles Kate, b. 23 Apr 1829, d. 14 May 1903. (Married (1) May Mary HARPER, (2) Evaline HARPER, (3) Lena LOGAN, (4) Sarah LONG, and (5) Margaret Ann PEELER).
- Miss Shiver, b. abt. 1830.
- Lydia, b. abt. 1832 (this is an uncertain link, but she appears in the Griffin SMITH household in Lee Co., GA on the next page in the census as an apparent domestic. At this point, it appears to be a good fit given the ages of Jacob's children from the 1840 census).
- Samuel A., b. abt. 1836.
- John, b. abt. 1840.
1830 Federal Census of Dooly County, Georgia
Head of Household: Jacob SHIVER
Free White Males: 2 - Under 5, 2 - 5-10, 1 - 40-50;
Free White Females: 1 - 5-10, 1- 10-15, 1 - 30-40.
1840 Federal Census of Lee County, Georgia
Head of Household: Jacob SHIVER
Free White Males: 2 - Under 5, 1 - 5-10, 1 - 10-15, 1 - 20-30, 1 - 50-60;
Free White Females: 1 - 5-10, 1 - 10-15, 1 - 40-50.
1850 Federal Census of 50th District, Lee County, Georgia
Enumeration Date: 3 Oct 1850
Page #304, Dwelling #508, Family #508
NAME AGE SEX OCCUPATION R/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE Jacob SHIVER 61 M Blacksmith $30 S. Carolina Mary SHIVER 48 F S. Carolina Jacob SHIVER 22 M Farmer Georgia Miles SHIVER 16 M Farmer Georgia Samuel SHIVER 12 M Georgia John SHIVER 10 M Farmer Georgia Mary SHIVER 68 F S. Carolina
It is noted in this census that Jacob & Mary cannot read or write. Also, the Mary SHIVER, age 68, cannot read or write, and she is deaf & dumb. It could be she is a sister or widowed sister-in-law of Jacob's.
I do not have a death date for this particular Jacob, but I'm assuming it was before 1860, as I have yet to locate him in the 1860 census records.
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me at the address below. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2021 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?