John was born 7 Oct 1768 in Haliax County, Virginia, the son of unknown parents. He left Virginia with his family and after sojourning in Smith County, Tennessee for about 14 years, he moved on with his family to Crawford County, Illinois.
John was married to Elizabeth "Betsey" SAMPSON on 12 Jan 1797 in Halifax County, Virginia. To this marriage was born 7 children:
- Polly, b. 17 Oct 1797. (Married Jesse STARR).
- James, b. 7 Dec 1799, d. 31 Jan 1849. (Married (1) Nancy LITTLE, and (2) Malinda DUKE (WARNER)).
- William Johnson, b. 7 Aug 1802, d. Apr 1886. (Married Amelia SPRAGGINS).
- Sarah, b. 27 Feb 1806. (Married Cornelius ORGAN).
- Samuel R., b. 27 Apr 1810. (Married Eliza Ann MAGILL).
- Leanner "Leewana", b. 23 Dec 1813, d. 18 Aug 1845. (Married Samuel H. CUNNINGHAM).
- Elizabeth W., b. 5 Dec 1822.
Betsy died in 1845 in Palestine, Crawford County, Illinois. Her burial place is unknown to me at this time. John outlived at least 2 of his children, and died at the age of almost 96 on 20 Sep 1864 in Palestine, Crawford County, Illinois. His obituary, written by his grandson, John Crews, tells of his life. His burial place is also unknown to me at this time.
You can also read part biographical sketch that was printed about John in the article about his grandson Albert in the 1910 Lawrence County History book.
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2021 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?