Manning "Dow" SHIVER
Manning or "Dow" Shiver was born 7 Jan 1837 in Dooly County, Georgia, a son of Manning Shiver and Sarah LOVE or NETTLES.
He was married on 14 Apr 1859, probably in Mitchell County, Georgia to Celia Elizabeth JOINER, daughter of Asa JOINER and Celia HILLIARD. The known children of this couple are:
- David, b. 10 Feb 1860. (Married Jeannie BURMAN).
- Arkansas or Missy, b. 3 Mar 1862, d. 30 Apr 1933. (Married Marshall SHIVER).
- Buddy L., b. 4 Mar 1866.
- William Alfred, b. 4 Oct 1868, d. 12 Sep 1941. (Married (1) Minnie Lee WILLIAMS and (2) Effie SHIVER).
- Alberta, b. 4 Feb 1870. (Married Tom WILLIS).
- Celia Elizabeth, b. 23 Jul 1872. (Married Ali U. WILDER).
- Byron Manning, b. 31 Oct 1874, d. 3 Dec 1952. (Married Lilla or Lilly SPENCE).
- Spencer Warner, b. 20 Mar 1877, d. 22 May 1954. (Married Alderette Ella DEKLE).
- Albert J., b. 18 May 1879. (Married Myrtle PINSON).
- Asa Curtis, b. 1 Oct 1882, d. 17 Sep 1964. (Married Daisy Mittie GREEN).
- Royal, b. 4 Dec 1884. (Married Jetty McCLELLAND).
1860 Federal Census of Mitchell County, Georgia
Enumeration Date: 26 Jun 1860
Page #37, Dwelling #259, Family #265
NAME AGE SEX OCCUPATION R/E VALUE P/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE Maning SHIVER 24 M Farming $600 $900 Georgia Celia E. SHIVER 17 F Georgia David SHIVER 3/12 M Georgia
1870 Federal Census of Camilla P.O., Mitchell County, Georgia
Enumeration Date: 28 Jun 1870
Page #55, Dwelling #744, Family #744
NAME AGE SEX OCCUPATION R/E VALUE P/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE Maning SHIVER 32 M Farming $700 $440 Georgia Elizabeth SHIVER 27 F Keeping House Georgia David SHIVER 10 M At Home Georgia Arkansas SHIVER 7 F Georgia Alfred SHIVER 3 M Georgia Alberta SHIVER 4/12 F Georgia
Manning "Dow" Shiver served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and information gathered from his service record and pension files are as follows (taken from a published work which has no reference, I will search diligently for it so I can include it later):SHIVER, Manin (Mannin, Manning, Marion), nickname "Dow"
b. 17 Jan 1837, Dooly Co., Georgia - d. 30 May 1917, Grady County, Ga. (Pine Level Church)
son of Mannin and Sarah Shiver
Married 14 Apr 1859 to Celia Elizabeth Joiner (dau. of Asa & Celia Hilliard Joiner).
Enlisted 14 Mar 1862, near Manassas, Virginia, Co. E, 17th Georgia Infantry. (Mitchell County Volunteers) Bennings Brigade, enlisted by Capt. McGregor.
Confederate pension application, 12 May 1904, Decatur County, Georgia, reveals that Manin Shiver was wounded in Pennsylvania 3 Jul 1864 (1863?), but was present when General Robert E. Lee surrendered the Confederate Armies on 9 Apr 1865. The application contains the following statement:"At the Battle of Gettysburg I was shot through my neck. The ball came out through right shoulder. At the time I was sent to Hospital at Linchburg (sic) and remained in hospital about 30 days. I then received furlough for 60 days, after this I returned to command and put on light duty. I was not well enough for heavy field duty on account of the would. From this would I have periodical erysiphlas** about 3 or 4 times a year which renders me unfit for my work at all. This would has caused me considerable disability & permanently disables me for much more work."
**Erysipelas: an acute febrile disease associated with intense edematous local inflammation of the skin and subcutaneous tissues caused by a hemolytic streptococcus. (i.e., a reoccurring wound infection)
After enlisting 14 Mar 1862 the following entries appear in Manin Shiver's service record:
- Present, Jackson Hospital, Richmond, Virginia (not dated)
- Present, General Hospital #18 (Greaner's Hospital) Richmond, Va. 12 Aug 1862 - 20 Aug 1862
- Present, Company Muster - Jan & Feb 1863
- Present, CSA General Hospital, Charlottesville, Va. - 12 Jul 1863; transferred 18 Jul 1863 to General Hospital Richmond, Va.
- Present, Wayside Hospital, or General Hospital #9 - 18 Jul 1863; transferred to Chimbrazo 19 Jul 1863
- Present, Chimbrazo Hospital #4, Richmond, Virginia - 19 Jul 1863
- Present, Gun Shot Would (7 cer. vert.) 7 Aug 1863 transferred to Jackson Hospital
- Present, Jackson Hospital - Morning Report 5 Aug 1863
- Present, Jackson Hospital - Morning Report 20 Aug 1863, (ret'd to duty)
- Present, Floyd House & Ocmulgee Hospital, Macon - 21 Nov 1863, from Chattanooga
- Present, Company Muster, Jul & Aug 1864
- Present, Jackson Hospital - Muster Roll 29 Nov 1864
- Appears on Register Jackson Hospital, Richmond, Virginia 26 Oct 1864, returned to duty 30 Nov 1864
- Present, Company Muster, Nov & Dec 1864
- Present, Company Muster, Jan & Feb 1865
- Appears on Register - General Hospital, Howard's Grove, Richmond, Va. Listed under heading of "List of regularly detailed men at G. H. Howard's Grove" 25 Mar 1865. To general service 29 Mar 1865
- Medical Director's Office, Richmond, Va. 29 Mar 1865. Remarks: Report to Surgeon in Charge Howard Grove Hospital.
According to Veteran's Pension Request and statement of men who served with Manning Shiver, he was injured at the Battle of Gettysburg. He was also present at Appomattox Court House, Virginia when Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered the Confederate Forces to Gen. U. S. Grant on 9 Apr 1865. He served in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia throughout the war. Jasper Newton Joiner and Andrew Jackson Joiner (brothers-in-law) also served in the same unit.
[Editor's Note: Jasper Newton JOINER married Manning "Dow" Shiver's sister, Sarah. They had three small children when he was killed in the Battle of Wilderness in Virginia 6 May 1864.]
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2021 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?