Alexander Douglas MARTIN
Alexander Douglas MARTIN was born 1 Sep 1844 in Hamilton County, Tennessee. He was the second son and third child of Russell M. MARTIN and Mary ROGERS.
Alexander served in the Confederate Army for a time, and his service record as extracted from "History of Inmates Admitted to the Confederate Soldier's Home of Georgia" page 244, states the following:
A. D. Martin of Putnam County; States "Born: Sept. 1st, 1844; Where: Hamilton Co., Tenn.; Entered Confederate Service: July 1862; Rank: Private; Co.: K; Regiment: 1st Confederate Cavalry; Engagements at which present?: Fort Donaldson, Cleveland, Tennessee; Expiration of Service when?: End of War paroled 9th May 1865; Commanding Officers at date of entering service?: Capt. J. S. Tyner (?) Cal. Cap.; Commanding Officers at date of discharge or surrender?: Capt. J. S. Tyner, Col. Dibrell; Branch of service: Cavalry."
In his Civil War pension records it is also stated that he served in Co. B. Bradshaw's Battalian of the Cavalry.
He was married to Virginia Ann Dill RAMSEY about 1865, but the place is unknown at this time. To this marriage were born 14 known children:
- Alford Russell, b. 14 Jan 1867. (Married Lillie ????).
- Augustus Seymour "Aughaby", b. 22 Aug 1868. (Married Susie E. ????).
- Alice A. "Allie", b. 2 Jul 1870, d. 29 Feb 1892.
- Florence, b. 2 Dec 1872, d. before 2 Dec 1880.
- Willy Dee (or Lee), b. 14 Apr 1874, d. 22 Feb 1952. (Married J. Henry CARR).
- Eddie, b. 14 Apr 1874, d. bef 14 Jun 1880.
- Daniel Alexander, b. 14 May 1876, d. 1 Sep 1924. (Married Roxie Estelle DAVIS).
- Paul R., b. 22 Aug 1878. (Married Minnie E. ????).
- Charles Hamilton, b. 11 Feb 1880, d. 16 Jun 1961. (Married Eula ALEXANDER).
- Mary, b. 13 Jan 1882. (Married Mr. COPELAND).
- Mattie, b. 1884, d. before 14 Jun 1900.
- Lottie, b. 23 Apr 1885, d. before 14 Jun 1900.
- Andrew Young "Buck", b. 18 Jan 1886, d. 6 Oct 1930. (Married Jettie Lee ????).
- Robert E. or Rogers, b. 22 Dec 1890. (Married Lucille ????).
1870 Federal Census of Conyers P.O., Subdiv. 163, Newton County, Georgia
Enumeration Date: 27 Sep 1870
M593, Roll #168, Page #142, Dwelling #559, Family #560
NAME SEX AGE OCCUPATION R/E VALUE P/E VALUE BIRTHPLACE Douglass MARTIN M 25 Farmer $1000 $500 Tennessee Virginia MARTIN F 21 Housekeeping Georgia Russell MARTIN M 3 Georgia Augustus S. MARTIN M 2 Georgia Porter BROADEN M 14 Farm Work Georgia
I also have 1880, 1900 and 1910 census records for Alexander MARTIN. I will add these at a later date.
Virginia Ann Dill (RAMSEY) MARTIN died on 14 Jun 1909. She is buried at the Berea Cemetery in Hampton, Henry County, Georgia. It is my conjecture that Alexander remarried a Maggie IVEY on 4 Jul 1909 in Putnam County, Georgia, as I have a marriage license for them, as well as census data showing them in 1910.
Alexander Douglas MARTIN died on 19 May 1925 in the Confederate Soldier's Home in Atlanta, Georgia. He is buried beside Virginia in the Berea Cemetery, Hampton, Henry County, Georgia. His obituary states:
"AGED VETERAN PASSES AWAY -- Mr. A. D. Martin died at the Soldiers Home in his 81st year, May 19. His remains was brought to the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. H. Carr of near Hampton. Funeral and interment at Berea church Wednesday, Rev. Cherry conducting funeral services."
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2019 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?