Albert was born 16 Sep 1841 in Lawrence County, Illinois, the son of James Crews and Malinda Duke. His father died when Albert was only 8 years old, and his mother when he was about 17. He was apprenticed to a blacksmith, and worked in that trade for a number of years. Click here to read a biographical sketch of Albert that appeared in the 1910 History of Lawrence County, Illinois.
He was married to Martha Ellen HIGHSMITH on 6 Jul 1862 in Lawrence County, Illinois. Their marriage record can be found in the Lawrence County, Illinois Marriage Book E, pg. 295. To this marriage was born 10 children:
- Charles Johnson, b. 11 Jan 1864, d. 2 Sep 1864.
- Albert Harlan, b. 2 Sep 1865, d. 26 Apr 1940. (Married Mary S. WATHEN).
- William Franklin, b. 28 Mar 1868, d. 3 Sep 1920. (Married Adella "Dela" TOLLES).
- Carl Clinton, b. 16 Jul 1870, d. 8 Feb 1939. (Married (1) Emma BORDEN or BARDEN, (2) Betty TOLER, and (3) Minnie THOMPSON).
- John, b. 2 Apr 1872, d. 18 Aug 1873.
- Martha Ellen "Mattie", b. 19 Apr 1874, d. 27 Jun 1943. (Married William F. WESNER).
- Minta Mae, b. 19 Dec 1876, d. 23 Apr 1965. (Married Glenwood Earl MESKIMEN).
- Ora Pearl, b. 17 Jun 1879, d. 10 Oct 1906. (Married Charles Landrum THOMPSON).
- Joseph LeRoy, b. 23 Sep 1882, d. 15 Mar 1964. (Married Elizabeth JONES).
- James Clifford, b. 21 Apr 1886, d. 27 Jul 1940. (Married Della Lyda PURCELL).
Martha Ellen died on 14 Oct 1893 in Lawrence County. She is buried in the Centerville Cemetery in Allison Township, Lawrence County, Illinois. Albert followed her in death on 4 May 1917 also in Lawrence County, and is buried next to Martha Ellen in Centerville Cemetery.
If you can add any information to the above data or have any questions, please contact me. Thank you!
Copyright © 1998-2019 by Mary Kathryn Kozy
Questions or comments?